8.27.2010

Colonial Williamsburg

Abby came over to our room in the middle of the night, saying she was scared of hers. Scott was sweet and let Abby crawl into the bed and went and slept in Abby's bed. We all got to sleep in a little bit this morning and got going before lunch. We headed to Colonial Williamsburg, VA to check it out. We had planned to go to Washington, D.C., but after seeing how much there was to do around here, we just decided to stay here. We most likely would never plan a vacation here so it seemed like the best time to do it. Colonial Williamsburg was very interesting. It is a large area from the 18th century with many restored and reconstructed buildings, as well as a set up of a typical Virginia plantation from the same time frame. It was very interesting to walk around and take it all in. They had horse and carriage rides and the employees all dressed in the appropriate attire. We didn't do any guided tours since the girls are still so young and some of them lasted 30 minutes. I am sure they would have been interesting as well. The site is near some modern shopping so we checked out a few stores; I think the favorite was the candy store. Both girls chose a large lollipop. Scott and I found our Christmas ornament for the year (every year we buy an ornament that has some sort of meaning for us.)  Abby was getting tired, complaining that her legs hurt (should have brought her a stroller too I guess), and wanting to sit down on every set of stairs or bench that she saw. Scott finally told her it was a good thing that her legs hurt because she was exercising them and she stopped complaining for the most part! Mckenzie did a good bit of walking too and tired herself out enough to fall asleep in the stroller. We spent the afternoon exploring and called it a day. When we got back to the visitor center, Abby managed to make two little friends in the short amount of time we were walking through. It was so sweet to watch. The first little girl and Abby were both looking at a display and shyly looking at each other. Then the little girl offered to show Abby something and they ran to look together. Abby said goodbye and ran back to us. Then she asked if she could find out how old the little girl was. We said sure and Abby ran back over. We saw them chat for a couple of minutes and then Abby ran back over to report she was five and had already finished Kindergarten. Such sweet innocence. Wouldn't it be amazing if we could all still be that comfortable with one another and strike up a conversation with a complete stranger for no real reason! We stopped by a Yankee Candle store on the way to dinner. The store was huge! I saw a strawberry candle that as soon as I picked it up and lifted the cover, I knew I was going to buy it. No, it's not the first time that I have smelled that scent and just had to have it because it was so good. I bought it because as soon as I lifted the cover, I remembered my Grandma Hietala and spending time at her house. She had a strawberry Yankee Candle and I don't think she ever burned it, but what I do remember is seeing it sit on her bookcase in her living room and I remember smelling it. It just took me back in time. Remembering what an amazing, kind, caring, & loving Grandma she was. I will always cherish those weeks I spent at her house in the summer and the family trips every Sunday. She was one of a kind and I miss her dearly! We headed to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner. Very tasty and very entertaining! The waitstaff dances and sings every so often and Abby and Mckenzie got a kick out of watching them and clapping along. It got the girls in a dancing mood, so instead of nicely sitting in their seats, the two of them were dancing away. And, the last song before we left, Abby joined in dancing with two of the waitresses. She got such a kick out of it and high fived the girls when they were done! Mckenzie was too shy to dance with them, but she had a big smile watching Abby do it! We got back to our hotel room and got the girls a bath. They were both sooooo dirty. Suckers in their hair and dirt everywhere! But, now they are nice and clean, sleeping soundly in their room. I guess by night three, the novelty of sleeping in the same room has worn off and they went to bed with only a little bit of talking beforehand. I will add some pictures when we get home!
Oh, I forgot to write about something that Abby did yesterday. We were driving in the car and she wanted to tell jokes. After telling a few of her favorite knock knock jokes, she got bored with those and started making up her own. The one both Scott and I laughed the hardest at was this: knock, knock. who's there? car. car who? cars gonna take your street so you can't drive! Where she comes up with these I don't know. They aren't funny, but the way she tells them and laughs at them is hilarious in itself. When she tells a joke she thinks isn't funny she will say, very seriously, "that's not funny" and go on and make up another silly knock knock joke. I love she has such a sense of humor!










The girl loved her benches!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers