8.05.2010

What a long day! Both girls woke up early this morning. Luckily Abby got up a little earlier than Mckenzie so she had time for breakfast and Mckenzie woke up just in time to get a little juice before we had to stop giving her anything to drink. Scott headed into work only to turn around because they needed him to fly a local tonight. YAY! You don't know how relieved I was to have him going with for the entire thing. We dropped Abby off with friends and she was so excited to go. As soon as we stopped in front of their house, she was unbuckled and ready to get out of the car. I got out of the car to take her to the door and she turned around to look at me and say "Bye mom" as though I were letting her go to the door by herself! Mckenzie wasn't too happy Abby got out of the car and she didn't, but Scott settled her down right away. We hit a little traffic in Philly, but we still had plenty of time to make our arrival time. I just have to say, the staff at CHOP is absolutely, positively wonderful. Everything about our experience was positive (minus of course, seeing our baby girl hurting). Friendly, efficient, competent. That is how I would describe the hospital. And calm. Very calm. Usually hospitals seem chaotic to me, with people all over the place and so much noise, but not there. We didn't have to wait long before going back to pre-op. Mckenzie was starting to get hungry and kept trying to dig into my purse to get some fruit snacks! Luckily, Scott is great at distracting her so it wasn't that big a deal. We met with anesthesia and the doctor and everything was good to go. They gave Mckenzie what they call 'giggle juice'; it is a mix of tylenol and versed. At first it made her silly, almost like she had one too many and then she got chill and just laid on the stretcher. Scott and I were debating whether or not to go back to the OR with her while anesthesia put her under, but we decided not to because she was so relaxed when the nurse came to get her we didn't think it would be a problem. We were worried she would get anxious and start to cry, but she was all good! While we were in the waiting room, I was looking around and I felt so blessed that we were there with a healthy child and this problem could be fixed with one visit. There were parents sitting with a prosthetic leg for their child and another couple talked with the doctor like they had known each other for so long. I am so thankful to have healthy children! I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to have a child with health issues. The doctor came out to tell us surgery went well. He said the cyst was pretty good sized and had adhered to the bone. He also said when she started coming out of the anesthesia she was crying so he carried her in his arms to the PACU and she settled down. Now that is amazing service! We got to got to go to PACU soon after and it was so hard seeing Mckenzie. The nurse was holding her and she looked so tiny and fragile and her eye looked so painful. I couldn't wait to hold her in my arms and tell her everything was ok. She got a little restless and woke up crying saying her eye hurt. The nurses were great and got her pain meds within minutes. It took a little while to settle her down, but she finally did and we were discharged. She did great on the ride home, only whimpering a little bit. I think she liked having me sit in the back with her. She told me to watch the Wiggles on my own screen instead of sharing hers! We stopped at the pharmacy to fill her prescriptions (which the nurse was kind enough to fax over before we left the hospital) and headed home. We checked on Abby again and she was still doing great so we got Mckenzie settled in at home. She went from wanting nothing to drink to eating Doritos in no time flat. After that, it was hard to keep her still. She wanted to run and jump like normal! I went to pick up Abby and she was so excited to see me and show me all the wonderful things she did at her friends house. She had a great time swimming, watching movies, playing on the waterslide! Sounds like she had a super fun day and I am not sure I will be able to live up to that tomorrow. Scott had to leave to fly a local and the girls and I played until a late bedtime. Mckenzie's antibiotic is four times a day, so I am trying to get it on a schedule that won't always require me to keep her up late and still wake her up in the middle of the night! Both girls were exhausted and I hope they sleep well tonight.

Feeling good from her 'giggle juice'


2 comments:

  1. Awww! Poor baby! So glad all went well and she is home and happy!

    I remember when D went for her neuro visit and the doctor told us she was the healthiest pt he had seen all day. Definitely something you want to hear from neuro! We are blessed to have happy healthy kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful to hear that the hospital was so great! The doctor carried her to the room?? Love to hear how well she was cared for!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers