5.04.2010

Early morning for us today. Mckenzie had her CT scan this morning over in Philly at the Children's Hospital. Mckenzie did pretty well, she fought getting an iv even though they had already given her some oral medication. She is strong-willed and if she doesn't want to do it, it is hard to get her to cooperate! It took awhile to get her calmed down after the iv and as soon as I layed her back down for the rest of the medication, she got agitated and calling for me and grabbing for me. It was so hard to watch her. The scan itself was quick and we were back in our room waiting for Mckenzie to wake up. The sedation doctor warned me that how a child goes into sedation is generally how they wake up as well, but I wasn't prepared for how upset Mckenzie was when she did wake up. She was screaming and kicking and upset about the iv still in her arm. Nothing I did relaxed her. The nurse brought in juice and when Mckenzie drank that and didn't get sick from it, we were on our way. I was surprised she let us go when Mckenzie was still so agitated from the medicine. It was all I could do to carry her to the car and trying to put her in the car seat made it worse. I stood with her in the parking garage for a while, but I ended up putting her in her seat anyway and getting on the road. She was so distraught for a good portion of the drive. I didn't know what to do for her. There wasn't anywhere I could pull over in Philly and the first town in Jersey is a little too rough for me to be stopping. We made it home and Mckenzie was fine once she got into her own bed. I hope she doesn't remember what happened! Abby was so well behaved. She watched tv and stayed out of the way when people were in the room. I am so proud of how she helped Mckenzie; she let the nurse practitioner listen to her heart/lungs so Mckenzie would cooperate. She gave Mckenzie her bear after we got back from the CT. She even caught herself talking too loud and reminded herself to be quiet since Mckenzie was sleeping. And she colored a picture to give to Mckenzie and even wrote Mckenzie's name on it (with a little spelling help). She only got upset once and that was on the way to the car. She wanted to investigate the hospital and didn't seem to understand that wandering around wasn't the best idea when Mckenzie was so agitated. She was great this afternoon, playing by herself. Mckenzie finally woke up around for shouting for me, but in her normal, happy little voice. She was still affected slightly by the medicine, but no more of the screaming. I could tell she just didn't feel quite right. I was too lazy to cook, so I ordered dinner in. Abby told me she didn't like the pasta shells I ordered, but ended up eating them anyway after she saw Mckenzie eating. I gave the girls ice cream for dinner and they both ended up with chocolate mustaches! The girls are both sleeping now and I hope for a restful night for both.
So peaceful with her bear.
Abby made me an egg, mushroom, and french fry drink. Tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers